Spinach is not just popeye’s favourite; it can also be your super friend during pregnancy as it is rich in iron, protein, calcium and folate. Include spinach in your diet as often as possible because it covers your body’s increased need for iron, folate, fibre etc. It is also rich in vitamin C to keep your immune system strong while you’re pregnant.
Having spinach everyday can be boring and difficult with food aversions in the first trimester. Here is a new spinach recipe that will please your palate and stay light on the tummy.
– Iron, calcium, beta carotene, folate, fibre, essential fat and goodness of fruits.
- Low fat or Greek yogurt – ½ cup
- Ripe banana = 1 (small)
- Fresh spinach leaves – as required ( 2 handfuls can be good)
- Flaxseed powder – 2 tablespoons
- Ice cubes
- Mix plain low fat yogurt, spinach, sliced banana, flaxseed powder in a blender or mixer.
- Add little water to the mix and blend till it becomes smooth.
- Serve cold with ice.
You can use greek yogurt instead of low fat yogurt and banana can be replaced with any frozen fruit like mango or even berries. This will cover the spinach flavor and also gives a refreshing taste.