Tests and screenings
Being pregnant for the first time can be exciting and the joy of discovering your pregnancy is one of the best feelings, if you are expecting a little prince/princess. It is crucial to perform a home pregnancy test at right time to avoid false negative result. Based on your home pregnancy kit, you can perform the test to get the most accurate result at the right time.
Few facts about home pregnancy tests
- Home pregnancy kits are used to determine pregnancy by measuring the amount of pregnancy hormone, human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG) in the urine.
- Pregnancy kit that are more sensitive can detect even low traces of hCG hormone thus one can detect pregnancy even 4 days before their period is due or 7 days after conception.
- The sensitivity of pregnancy kits range between 10mIU/ml and 40mIU/ml. The lower number suggests better sensitivity which can detect the pregnancy earlier.
- The test result can be accurate, if performed at the time your period would be due. This is applicable only for women who have regular menstrual cycle. <
- If you are not sure of your next period, take the test 21 days after you had sex with your partner. Usually, the pregnancy tests can detect hCG hormone in the urine 7 days after you conceive.
- The pregnancy test can be negative for various reasons. Some pregnant women may have low hormone level when compared to others which may give a negative sign. If you get a negative result, take the test after 3 days and check your pregnancy.
- If you get a positive result, book an appointment with your physician to confirm your pregnancy.