Twin pregnancy brings double joy to the expectant mother and the family. A pregnant woman with twins can have double the happiness in one delivery and just 9 months of pregnancy discomforts. Although it is exciting, there are few facts that women carrying twins should know, some of which are given below:
- Women pregnant with twins gain more weight when compared to women with a single baby.
- Women in their 30s and 40s are more likely to have twins. As the menstrual cycle becomes irregular after 30 years, you may be ovulating 2 follicles at the same time which forms twins.
- Morning sickness, a common pregnancy discomfort characterized by nausea, vomiting, dizziness and fatigue becomes worse in twin pregnancy.
- In twin pregnancy, you need extra folic acid for the normal development of the baby when compared to singleton pregnancy.
- The risk of gestational diabetes is higher in twin pregnancies, so it is necessary to have a low fat, low sugar yet nutritional diet.
- Pregnant women with twins may go on an early labour. In some, there is a risk of preterm delivery with low weight babies.
- You won’t feel the kicking earlier in twin pregnancy. The baby kicking starts normally in all pregnancies.
- Generally, cesarean deliveries are quite common in twin pregnancies, so have an open mind about your delivery. However, there are many pregnant women who had normal delivery too.
These are common facts about pregnancy but differ from one to another based on the health of the individuals, so relax and enjoy the precious moments you spend with your double bundles of joy.