Pregnancy discomforts are mostly due to hormonal changes that occur inside the mother’s body for the growth and welfare of the baby. Apart from discomforts like morning sickness, nausea, heartburn, indigestion, constipation, bloating etc., itchiness also troubles pregnant women. Most pregnant women experience itchiness after 24th week of pregnancy, when the belly starts to show. Here are few tips to handle itchy belly during pregnancy:
What causes itchiness?
As the abdomen expands to accommodate the growing baby, the skin stretches and leaves stretch marks & itchy skin. The loss of moisture mainly causes itchiness in the growing belly region which may even extend to the thighs. The rushing hormones also contribute to the itchiness to some extent.
Tips to control itchiness
During pregnancy, one cannot opt for medical treatments to treat itchiness but the below simple remedies can keep itchiness under control:
- Avoid hot or warm showers as heat absorbs the moisture and leaves your skin dehydrated.
- Do not use deeply scented or perfumed soaps, shower gels and bathing oils as they tend to cause itchiness.
- Use moisturizing creams that are rich in cocoa butter or vitamin E to rehydrate your skin.
- Try mild detergent soap or body wash that are not indulged in artificial fragrances to keep the itching under control.
- You can also apply olive oil on your belly and thighs which acts as a natural moisturizer.
- Do not scratch and make it worse. Cut your nails, if it is too tempting to scratch the itchy belly as they may also cause infections.
- You can also opt for oatmeal bath which has a smoothening effect on skin thus reduces the itchiness.
- If it is itching with rashes, consult your gynecologist and get proper treatment.