How is Community Stem Cell Banking perceived by a healthcare professional

0
249
healthcare professional
 

Lifecell’s new initiative of Community Stem Cell Banking is welcomed with open hands amidst the healthcare fraternity, due to the following benefit the model offers.

Bygone the times when the parents who banked their baby’s stem cells in private banks could only access their baby’s stem cells and when there was a need for donor’s stem cells the search for stem cells still continued. Now with LifeCell Community banking, this search has ended for the community members who have banked their baby’s stem cells with them, they can now get immediate accessibility to a large inventory of unrelated donor stem cells and their baby’s own stem cells.

Dr. Kanimozhi Somu, a Chennai city-based senior gynecologist, said that it was high time that the government institutions like Medical College Hospitals and Primary Health Centres should explore at preserving the cord blood with community banking as it gives the family explicit benefits in the way forward.

A Healthcare Analyst would definitely view this Community banking as a transformational hybrid to stem cells banking collectively bring the best of Private and Public cord blood banks together.Community Stem Cell banking is typically formulated to match the under- utilized assets to the unmet demands, keeping the focus on challenges faced by the patient during need to find a matching donor. A child’s probability of need to use its own stem cells is only 2%, whereas the rest 98% of the inventory are left untouched and lie idle due to the restricted access of stem cells in private banks.

In the case of public cord blood banks, the time taken to source stem cells during the time of need is approximately 3 months. Nearly 40-50% of the matching donors back out at the nth hour or there might be an unavailability of donor stem cells at crucial moments.In a private bank, only 20% of the conditions treatable by stem cells can employ the use of stem due to the exclusivity to reserve the preserved stem cells for own use. The rest 80% of the conditions calls for a stem cell hunt for a viable treatment based on a doctor’s recommendation.

According to AAP and ACOG medical guidelines, it is stated that patients should be aware that in certain indications, use of one’s own stem cells is contraindicated but Community Banking has addressed this problem by providing access to matched unrelated donors. It is also mentioned  in these guidelines that the chance of an autologous unit of umbilical cord blood being used for a child or family member is remote but Community Banking offers scope of treatment with matched unrelated donors.

Even on pondering over cost factor of retrieval, the high price of finding a matching a donor is a constraint in public banking, whereas in community banking once preserved apart from the testing, processing and storage cost that sums to just the cost of your iPhone with zero retrieval cost. As a transplant assistance, LifeCell also offers an additional cost of 20 lakhs to the baby and sibling as a goodwill gesture.

The current Indian inventory size in public cord blood banks and bone marrow registries is less than 1% of the global inventory, thus sourcing a match in such scenario is absolutely far-flung.

Doctor’s believe that now with the introduction of community banking by LifeCell and its projection to increase 50,000 cord blood units each year is expected. This will definitely create a pool that is 10x bigger, thereby making community bank the largest pool of cord blood units in the world.

With a change in the business model as such health care professional are expecting an overall turnaround in inventory size. Doctors who earlier recommended Public Banks are now persuading the members to share stem cells amongst the community members, to support the growth perspective in the creation of larger pool.

With all its extended benefits Community stem cell banking is a welcome move from LifeCell, addressing access to donor stem cells of Indian origin which will help future generations stay protected” commented Dr. Purvish Parikh, Board Member of Maharashtra University of Health Sciences and Director of Precision Oncology & Research, Asian Cancer Institute.

The ease of ethnic hindrance and its coherence to the medical guideline has also made the healthcare fraternity to endorse community banking. The cost efficacy, immediate access and larger inventory of stem cells will also make the healthcare professionals recommend this model to their patients for better outcomes.

Thus, community banking is definitely a comprehensive solution earn a winning edge over private and public cord blood banks amidst the healthcare fraternity.

To know more about Community Banking: https://www.lifecell.in/community-banking-stem-cells-preservation-dual-b…

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here