Being pregnant for the first time is exciting for the expectant mother and the whole family. According to a general belief, the ‘pregnancy glow’ would cause sheer radiance to the skin, but in reality, most pregnant women are likely to experience skin dryness. If your skin becomes dry and scaly like a reptilian, it is probably one of the symptoms of pregnancy and nothing to worry.
Causes of Skin Dryness
There are many reasons which cause skin dryness in pregnant women such as hormonal changes, dehydration and loss of bodily fluid as more fluid is required for the increasing blood supply and nourishment of the baby. Sometimes, hormones make the skin produce more oil, leading to acne; by washing the face more often to fight off the acne may also cause dryness. Hormones are also capable of producing less oil and hence the dry and scaly skin.
Simple Remedies for Skin Dryness
- Drink not less than 8 glasses of water every day to combat dehydration. Also opt for non caffeinated drinks like green tea, ginger ale or fruit juices to maintain the water and mineral levels in the body.
- Try having foods with fat source such as nuts, olive oil, avocados etc.
- Clean your skin with a gentle soap or moisturizing body lotions, pat dry with a soft towel rather than rubbing it.
- Avoid hot water bath; rather opt for shower in warm water which will help to retain the natural moisture in the skin. Also limit the time spent in shower.
- After bath, use a gentle moisturizing cream or calamine lotions. Consult your physician about the same before using.
- Do not forget to apply sun screen to protect your skin and also use hydrating face mask packs once in a week to add moisture.
Inform your gynecologist if your skin dryness becomes severe as there are other prescribed treatments available.