Morning sickness is a common pregnancy symptom which may keep you tired and restless the whole day with nausea, fatigue and decreased appetite. Most expectant mothers suffer from vomiting and avoid food in the first trimester, but it is crucial to have your meals during pregnancy.
Here are some of the foods that can help you tackle with morning sickness:
- Stack crackers and eat when you feel hungry in the early morning or between meals. Empty stomach also causes nausea so have plain or salty crackers which will keep you away from the symptoms of morning sickness.
- Chilled foods like sorbet, juices or smoothies are a good choice of food to avoid morning sickness. During pregnancy, if you have a heightened sense of smell, it may cause repelling effect from many hot food items like brewing coffee. Try cool beverages or food items to avoid nausea.
- Lemon helps to combat morning sickness due to its refreshing scent. To keep your stomach calm during morning sickness, smell a slice of lemon. When you step outside, you can carry some lemon drops.
- Sugar can worsen symptoms of morning sickness so avoid chocolates with high sugar; instead have dark chocolateswith 70% cocoa or higher as it is filled with antioxidants and good for your health.
- To combat constipation, try greens. They are rich in fibre and also filled with iron, minerals and vitamins required for the growth and development of the baby. All green leafy vegetables are good to handle constipation during morning sickness.